Where Do Genres Come From?
Students should explore the info below and the discussion guide. Learn more by looking at the website and using the info below to discuss and answer the Essential Questions below in class.
- Students will explore the meaning of the term genre.
- Students will explore genres and how they originate.
Students will explore the origins of Detroit Techno by visiting Music Map to explore the development of musical genres and how they emerged.
Compare and contrast the origins of these musical genres and art forms:
Research three genres and identify the city where they originated. Describe the cultural movement and the cultural events that led to the birth of the genre in that location.
- What city is credited with the origins of Techno?
- What city is credited with the origins of House Music?
- What city is credited with the origins of Rap music?
- Why is it important for genres to be named and the cultural origins of the art form to be understood?