Detroit’s Early Party club scene and the first Detroit Techno Band “A Number of Names”
Who was the group “A Number of Names” and why were they important to the creation of the genera of Techno?
Objective: The student will discover the group “A Number of Names” and learn why were they important to the history of Detroit Techno.
Students should explore the article below and the discussion guide. Learn more by looking at the images and listening to the original source documents contained in the article. Use the info to answer the Essential Questions below.
Read the passage on “A Number of Names” and listen to the song “Sharivari”.
The scene was a musical program that played in Detroit in the 80’s and influenced the local teens of the time like shows like Soul Train, or American Bandstand did for the national music audience. Watch the video of the historic Detroit TV program “The Scene” playing “Sharivari” in a club setting to see their reactions to the music.
Students will analyze who was in the group “A Number of Names” and why they were important to the history of Techno by discussing or writing responses to the following questions.
- Describe the group of young people in Detroit that the track Sharivari catered to? What things were they passionate about that were described in the track?
- Why is it important for the creators of a musical art form to be recognized?
- Can the group “A Number of Names” be considered the originator of Detroit Techno? Why?
- What original source documents are shown in the referenced article page? Why are they important?
- When did the group “A Number Of Names” release their first track?
- What influences led to the birth of Techno in Detroit at that time? (View Detroit Techno Timeline for additional resources).